• The Grounds of Alexandria, Alexandria

    DSC_0385
    Thanks to uni, meeting up with friends is always really hard, so we always put in extra effort to make it worthwhile each time! So this time, we chose to go to The Grounds of Alexandria. None of us have been before and were pretty excited to go as a result of the raves online!
    DSC_0386
    I was actually quite taken back by the atmosphere of this place. It's set up as a little village, totally separate from the modern world, with places to eat, florist and a lot of space for you to hang out with a drink. So we decided to do a little exploring and wandering around before we went to eat. 

    DSC_0387
    If you don't like to eat indoors, you can opt to buy at the Garden BBQ and enjoy the nice weather outside. The drinks they offer look really good, but  didn't have anymore space for it (since I had 2 coffees and a lemonade...in like 3 hours)
    DSC_0388
    cute sign
    Wait here to be seated - if there is a queue, the person there will give you a beeping machine, so you don't need to crowd there (just wander wherever you want till the machine beeps)
    DSC_0389
    Lemonade and fruit stand
    DSC_0390
    look into the cafe
    DSC_0392
    Breads for sale - you can buy it both inside the cafe or out here, whichever you like!
    DSC_0393
    Pastries for sale - they looked so good, but I couldn't buy any as they would be ruined on my way home...
    E did buy some and she said it was good!
    DSC_0405
    Looks so good - I'm salivating just looking at them!!!
    DSC_0394
    Hanging jeans - no idea what for though
    DSC_0395
    Onsite florist!

    We also decided to pay the (once kidnapped) Kevin Bacon a visit before eating. I found it kind of funny the number of signs advertising their bacon products there were in close vicinity to Kevin...hahahahaha

    DSC_0399DSC_0403


    DSC_0407
    The inside view
    By the time we decided to go eat, we had to wait a short while (but it was alright la~). After we settled in, choosing what to eat was relatively painless (unlike what usually happens when we're presented with a huge menu).
    To start us off, drinks!

    DSC_0409
    Apple cider ($5) and Ice Coffee ($6)
    P got an apple cider whilst I opted for an ice coffee (despite having a cup before I left the house). I didn't try the apple cider, but apparently it was similar to the bottled Appletisers you can buy at Coles. The ice coffee was good, but not amazing. We first asked them if we could have the coffee without milk (since we were craving americano) but apparently they can't - and I don't think they had any cold drip coffee...so I got this at the end. 
    DSC_0411
    Hot Chocolate ($3.80)
    Whilst our drinks were set up nicely, I think E's drink was presented the prettiest. Although the milk was beautifully frothed, with lots of foam, E found the drink not hot enough. I tried it and it was definitely below par for a hot drink. 


    Time to move onto the food! I didn't bother taking a picture of the menu, as they change it seasonally, so it'll be of little use. Grounds has a simple and short menu for breakfast (served till 11:45am), so we decided for 2 savoury and 1 sweet dish!
    DSC_0412
    Blueberry Pancake ($16)
    Served with lemon infused creme fraiche, candied walnuts and Canadian maple syrup
    It was sahhhh....fluffy!!! I'm not a fan of berries in my food (I prefer them fresh)...so they were only average in my opinion. I'm also not a fan of maple syrup, but E (who loves sweet stuff) found that the maple syrup worked really well with the pancake and brought it to a new level! What none of us really liked was the creme fraiche. I tried a bit of it and the lemon flavour was rather overpowering, so in the end we just pushed it to one side. What we all really liked were the crushed and candied walnuts - I could eat it just by itself!

    DSC_0423
    Quinoa Cake ($16)
    Hot smoked ocean trout, beetroot, pickled cucumber and fennel with a dukkah rolled soft boiled egg
    Being the food noob I am, I was expecting something more cake-y, if you know what I am. The cake is served with ocean trout - which I found to be a bit dry and overcooked. I think it would have been better if salmon was used instead. But the highlight was in the egg. What egg you ask? Let me show you!

    DSC_0414
    Look at that egg! Generously covered in dukkah, a bit of the yolk poking out - too bad there wasn't a shot of us breaking the egg!
    DSC_0415
    Breakfast Board ($19)
    Double smoked ham, avocado and fresh tomato with Persian feta, two poached eggs, house made pesto and The Grounds signature sourdough
    This was really satisfying - it felt really hearty, but healthy at the same time. I'm not a fan of feta, so I didn't try that, but P liked it! Now that I look at this picture, I just realised that my breakfast for the last two days has been practically the same, but no feta, replace sourdough with crumpets and scrambled instead of poached eggs! (wait...everything's different except tomato and avocado..hahahaha)
    DSC_0424
    Polenta Chips ($4.50)
    I personally find polenta kind of dough-y when it's been fried into chips - it kind of felt like I was eating bread sticks. Taste-wise it was pretty good, but I still prefer it in mash form. 

    After devouring over 90% of the food, we decided to move outside to chat as the queue was getting incredibly long (the staff probably wanted us out too).
    DSC_0442 Since I was looking at the lemonade the instant we stepped foot in The Grounds, we had to get it of course!

    DSC_0453
    Rose lemonade and lemonade ($5 each)
    For $5 a cup, it's pretty average priced - but it tastes so good! I love them both, as they aren't as fizzy as the ones you buy at theme parks and fairs. I slightly regret not trying the Teamonade ($5) - mainly because it would taste like VLT (but nothing can beat VLT!)

    Man this is a long post, but I think it's well worth it! Took me so long to put it up compared to E & P....
    More posts to come in my last week of holidays~
    Serena

    The Grounds of Alexandria on Urbanspoon
  • You might also like

    No comments:

    Post a Comment