• Black Star Pastry, Newtown | Yii Eats

    DSC_0551

    Hi guise! It's been another week! Hope you are well and everything is going right for you!
    As you guys all know, I'm one of the last people to join the trend/bandwagon when it comes to going to new and trendy food places. So...I finally decided to visit Black Star Pastry a few weeks ago (end of Feb.) when I was heading home from the city. And my conclusion from the visit is....rather conflicted. Here's why.

    Having going there with high hopes of getting a taste of the renowned Watermelon and Strawberry cake, I earnestly went and lined up in the queue that went out the door the small shop. As I inched closer and closer to the counter of cakes, my expression darkened as I saw the pieces of the famous fruit cake diminish one by one. However I held onto that one sliver of hope as there was still that one piece that remained untouched for a few customers. But then disaster struck. Despite my overly-zealous stares at the remaining slice, the lady in front of me bought it...along with a billion pieces of everything else. So in a puff of anger, I decided to buy all the types of cakes in the fridge they had to spite the people after me.
    DSC_0552
    Raspberry Creme Brulee Tart ($6 I guess)
    Sorry about the bad lighting....I don't normally buy raspberry tarts as I'm not a big fan of raspberry's tartness. But since I impulse bought, must eat lahhhh...The tart is not huge, but definitely not small. For $6-$6.50 I still think it's a tad overpriced..but then again, we are buying for the brand name and hype.
    DSC_0555
    Close up of the Raspberry Creme Brulee Tart
    This picture should compensate for the bad lighting in the photo above lah...even though it's not a lot better. Well I think this picture really shows you the amazing-ness of the caramel/sugar top.
    DSC_0558
    Inside of the tart
    I'm really sorry about how horribly I cut the tart - the top of the tart split unexpectedly as I cut it. But seriously, the tart was still magnificently gooey despite being the car for quite a while. Whilst I didn't really appreciate the sourness of the raspberry, my dad preferred it compared to the other chocolate-based desserts I bought. 
    DSC_0559
    Amedei Chocolate and Hazelnut Torte ($6.50 from memory...not sure though)
    This cake reminds me closely of Lindt's Opera Cake, which matches it similarly in terms of its price. The chocolate ganache is put of perfectly and the top and then finished off with a speck of gold.
    DSC_0560
    Close up of the layers in the cake
    Texture wise it resembles a chocolate version of the Napoleon cake (a.k.a. mille-feuille) but not the official one, more like the ones you see in Asian bakeries such as 85 Degrees. I liked the chocolate flavour (mainly dark chocolate) but it was so dense. I was done after one bite. But then the chocolate monster, JB, wolfed down the rest of the cake...ONE SHOT.
    DSC_0561
    Black Star Eclairs($6)
    I can't find it on their website, so I'll just call it the Black Star Eclair. To be honest, it look really good, no? But....that's about it....sorry.
    DSC_0563
    Inside of the eclair
    I normally find chocolate eclairs too sweet but it wasn't the case here because they chose to use dark chocolate for both the creme filling inside as well as the sauce over the top. However, there's no wow factor...tasted like an eclair should..nothing special.

    Along with the desserts, I also picked up two small cappuccinos ($3.50 each) and boy! was I disappointed. I'm no coffee expert, but just coffee school experience made me cringe as I watched the 'barista' make coffee. She firstly used too much coffee powder. So despite the good quality of the beans and the automatic machine, the coffee couldn't be saved. And don't even get me started on the milk...it wasn't frothed properly...seriously..it was put through the steam wand for less than 5 seconds. I gave them the benefit of the doubt at first thinking that "maybe they have some awesome milk frothing machine that makes brilliant milk in record speed". But then all fantasies were wiped as she poured out the milk. There was no froth. Might as well just used microwaved milk. Maybe microwaved milk would be better as that frothed milk wasn't even hot enough...so we ended up getting crappy, lukewarm coffee. But I was already in a bad mood so quickly drove away as I needed to prepare for dinner later that night. 

    Black Star Pastry on Urbanspoon
  • You might also like

    No comments:

    Post a Comment