• Blue Angel, Surry Hills | Yii Eats

    Hello hello world. It's been another week. I'm trying into get into the habit of scheduling my posts to help me manage my schedule (I'm procrastinating a couple of my assessment tasks by typing this one...).
    A few weeks ago I went to Blue Angel (thanks to a family friend's wedding) - which I'm very grateful of since it's a $$$$ restaurant that I can't afford myself. Anyway, congratulations to Jun and Candy!!! Enough of this stuff, time to get on the serious stuff!
    DSC_0578
    Garlic Bread ($4)
    I arrived last since I had to go park the car and parking in Surry is a pain in the ass! So by the time I settled in, garlic bread was already served! For a $$$$ restaurant, $4 a serving is pretty good. However, I don't know how many servings is in the basket - I had no input in the ordering, I just sat and ate. The garlic bread was done brilliantly! Crispy on the outside, soft and pillowy on the inside; seriously strong garlic smell and taste. WONDERFUL! Especially for someone who doesn't like bread, like me.
    DSC_0580
    Blue Angel Antipasto ($35)
    After I practically wolfed down all the garlic bread by myself, the antipasto arrived. The Blue Angel Antipasto is described as "Traditional Italian treats includes cured meats, olives, crostini, roasted vegetables, Italian cheeses" and more. The carnivore in me loved the meat, especially paired with the crispy bread. But I didn't 100% dig the olives and cheeses - but I think that's just me being me.
    DSC_0574
    Blue Angel boss in action!
    Apparently we had 6 huge lobsters - around 10kg that night...I swear it was more than that though. Anyway, there you not only get to watch him catch the lobsters, you're also allowed to hold the lobster and become all tourist-y and snap all the shots you like before the lobster becomes your dinner. I'm personally not a fan of it, but it's all part of the show here, where a large amount of the customer base are tourists. The boss is really friendly - loved talking to him!
    DSC_0590
    Misto Crudo Ver.1 ($135 for 2-4 people)
    DSC_0593
    Misto Crudo Ver.2 (4135 for 2-4 people)
    I was lucky enough to be seated in between the two different Misto Crudo dishes. They both came with:
    lobster sashimi, freshly shucked oysters, fresh sea urchins and sea kelp. The only difference between the two versions is that one comes with a plate of mixed sashimi ($25 if ordered separately); and the other had a lobster carpaccio ($85)  and some fish sashimi (snapper maybe?)  Everything was really fresh, but one thing I don't get about the sashimi was that it wasn't cold - particularly the fish was rather room temperature. I personally like my fish sashimi kind of chilled, not room temperature.
    DSC_0591
    Just look at those oyster babies!!! And that sea urchin in the background - I nearly ate all the urchin on both platters.....
    DSC_0598
    And yeah...we ordered a lot....We had 6 platters....such fatties we are!
    DSC_0602
    Lobster Bisque ($28)
    Lobster Bisque is one of specialties there at Blue Angel. After you've eaten as much as you can with the sashimi, they take what's left and turn it into a brilliant bisque. As you can see from the picture above, not only is it a beautifully creamy bisque, it's also accompanied by a generous piece of lobster.
    DSC_0614
    Head chef in action
    Next came the red meat - Char-grilled Wagyu tenderloin ($30/100g). It says char-grilled action at your table, but sadly it wasn't. As far as I know it was cooked in the kitchen then brought out for some slicing and last minute sizzling before serving it to us.
    DSC_0617
    Wagyu served with porcini and rosemary potatoes
    I was already so full, so I requested the smallest piece they could do and still managed to get such a massive piece. I really liked the porcini mushrooms, which had just arrived from France that morning. Potatoes were also really good - I liked it better with the black truffle, so fragrant!
    DSC_0619
    And then this thing got wheeled out - I've eaten here before, but with less people so I didn't get to see all these props. But guess what, it's not a prop - it actually forms an element in the next dish...can you guess what this is?
    DSC_0620
    No need to guess. It's actually a gigantic block of cheese - hugee!!! size of a car tyre at least.
    DSC_0633
    And this is what it's all for! Risotto!!!! After cooking the risotto, thy pop it in the cheese for some stirring. The heat from the risotto melts parts of the cheese so the risotto becomes more and more creamy. We had the Porcini Risotto ($40/person). Looks cool and but I'm confused as to whether there is "cleaning" of the cheese...
    DSC_0635
    Porcini risotto ($40/person)
    Once again, I requested a little bit, but this happened. Huge serving, but the good thing, LOTS OF TRUFFLE!!! It was delicious - creamy and fragrant!
    DSC_0605

    Black gold! It was really funny because when the owner said it was very fragrant, everyone tried sniffing it...I sort of laughed...funnier in real life - reminded me of this truffle documentary I watched..the pigs sniffing out truffle..hahahah...I sound so mean.
    DSC_0639
    Marco Polo ($135/kg)
    Don't think the lobster ended after the sashimi and bisque...still more to come! The Marco Polo is another specialty of Blue Angel - it's a special recipe developed by the owner (Marcellus) and cooked at your table! It was so interesting watching him prepare all the ingredients! It smelt so good too! I was already full to the top and then the smells of the onion, herbs, mussels etc. Despite eating very little of it, the very little was really really good!
    DSC_0641
    Close-up of the pasta. So many delicious ingredients!!!
    DSC_0644
    And guess what. There's more to come. We had the very last finale of the lobster - char grilled lobster! This was the only slight disappointment - it was rather dry after all the grilling...
    DSC_0647
    Fruit platter ($10)
    I was thinking that we'd had some awesome desserts, because western cuisine always comes with brilliant desserts. I was looking forward to something fancy, but this fruit platter was really good for my UBER full stomach.  Chilled fruit is the best!!!!

    Well this ends my post for today...just looking at these photos make me feel full. I'll see you guys next week with more of my adventures! 

    Blue Angel on Urbanspoon
  • You might also like

    No comments:

    Post a Comment