• Sokyo, The Star

    I'm never really up for breakfast as I can never wake up in time (I'm rarely up by 10am on days with no work and uni). But, Sokyo breakfast drew me up from bed. 

    Peo & I crawled out there, squished on the on-peak train and light rail to make it in there before breakfast finished at 10:30am. 

    We got slightly lost in trying to find the restaurant, as it's not exactly inside the main building. But we eventually found it and were greeted with the exciting sight of no queue. 

    Once we got settled in, we were offered three main choices:
    • A-la-carte dish + coffee/tea ($22.50)
    • Full continental buffet + coffee/tea ($28)
    • A-la-carte dish + continental buffet + coffee/tea ($38)
    We obviously went all out for the a-la-carte and buffet. For our a-la-carte dishes we wanted something unique and Japanese-style. 
    20160406_090226
    We first opted for the Katsu-sando, which was all over Instagram for the previous few months prior to our visit, so it was a must-order. The pork was juicy and the sauces were excellent. The salad was also a nice touch to cut through the fattiness from the pork loin. 
    Sadly, I don't think it's on the menu anymore. But in it's place there is Pork Katsu Curry which looks equally as attractive!
    20160406_090201
    You must have to order a dish that the restaurant is willing to put it's name to it so we also got the Sokyo Seafood Bowl, which resembles a chiraishi. The fresh seafood flavours play with each other very well and runny egg really connects everything together. I've never had octopus like this before so that was nice. I know chiraishi is commonly had at room temperature, but I personally prefer the warmer bibimbap; especially when it's breakfast and something warm starts the engine running.
    20160406_090155
    Our a-la-carte dishes along with some of the food from the Continental Buffet. I recall there being a large selection of cheese and sliced meat, but I wasn't really interested in that. We did take interest in the assorted ranges of muffins, cruffins and baked goods offered - especially the green tea and the yuzu muffins. Whilst the muffins were great, they were extremely filling and it would be a bit hard to demolish off multiple muffins alongside the main dish. Other dishes offered didn't leave much of a special imprint. 

    One dish that I didn't get was the congee -- I saw heaps of people going back for second and third bowls of the congee so it must've been good. 

    From what I saw, maybe because we were late to the trend, there weren't that many customers that travelled there especially for breakfast. The majority of guests were staying at the hotel above Sokyo. 

    Personally I believe you should go just for the main dish, and combined with constant menu rotations, it should keep you coming back for breakfast. I looked up the current menu and in addition to the Pork Katsu Curry, the Mushroom Omurice and the Matcha Green Tea Lamington also look attractive. 

    Sokyo Restaurant - The Darling at the Star Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato
  • You might also like

    1 comment: