• The Grounds of Alexandria (2) | Yii Eats

    Hello, hello, hello.
    Last time I went to Grounds with P & E I couldn't buy any pastries because I was going out afterwards and I also had to take public transport home. So, I successfully bugged by parents to drive me there (more like I drove them) to the Grounds for pastries.
    Thinking that it was a Monday and I was driving, I thought parking would be alright....How wrong was I???!!! The car park and Grounds itself was so packed, and my fail parking skills were no help!!! But that's enough of me ranting about my troubles, time to get to the good stuff!

    DSC_0563
    Since the line was really long (they had the person running around with the iPad taking 'pre-orders'), so I told the lady at the counter to pick out 8 pastries she though was good out of the 13-14 they had there at that time. These 8 cost me $50 something. Although it sounds like a bit pricey, but I guess it's worth the try! I don't know the exact price of each pastry since I forgot to ask for a receipt.

    DSC_0553
    Passsionfruit Cheesecake
    This cheesecake is different from your typical cheesecake, in that it's more similar to the cheesecake you buy from Asian bakeries. However, the tartness of the passionfruit really ups the game against other baked cheesecakes! However, I'm not a fan of the actual fruit on top - it looks nice, but not that nice to eat.

    DSC_0546
    Salted Caramel Tart
    I'm personally not a fan of the mix between salty and sweet OR caramel. However, the sweets monster JB really loved it and had the whole thing to herself. So if you like Caramello, then I guess this is the pastry for you!

    DSC_0544
    Croquembouche 
    This look really pretty doesn't it?! The profiteroles tasted really good in my opinion, but the caramel was really not for me. The caramel worked well to hold everything together, but it didn't do the atste any good (but maybe it's just me).

    DSC_0538
    Chocolate Walnut Brownie
    Brownies are always good, but they're better when they're topped off with ganache. This brownie was perfect - not too sweet and the walnuts added really nice texture! Definitely going to buy it again, especially if I have a chocolate craving. 

    DSC_0536
    Lemon Meringue Tart
    This one was my favourite! I really like lemon-flavoured stuff, and this was pretty good! The only complaint would be the macaron top, which was flavour-less.

    DSC_0531
    Apricot Pistachio Tart
    This one is really good if you're not a fan of the really sweet ('give you a toothache') type of pastries. The apricot and pistachio match really well, but I would have really wanted more pistachio in the tart. Another thing is that there was a layer of gelatin on top, so that everything looks nice and glossy, but we all know that plain gelatin taste bad.

    DSC_0527
    Napoleon
    Although the texture was nice, the top layer (which is just icing sugar (?)) was too sweet for me. Personally, I prefer the Napoleon pastry you find at Asian bakeries, as the pistachio add more texture and flavour compared to just cream.

    DSC_0526
    Lemon Pistachio Cake
    This feels like a mix between the pistachio tart and a lemon cheesecake. I really loved it, but everyone found it a tad plain.


    You can see that I'm getting tired as I write, as the length I write gets shorter and shorter..
    Anyway, I'm gonna finish off here, and go off to do my assignments and study for my finals.

    The Grounds of Alexandria on Urbanspoon
    xx
    Serena
  • You might also like

    No comments:

    Post a Comment