• Chinese New Year Gifts | Yii Eats

    Hi guys! Sorry I've been inactive for around a week la...not too bad by my standards I think~ ^^ Life just keeps getting in the way of my blogging (e.g. working, spending time with family and pure lazing around....)  However, realising that Chinese New Year (CNY) is just around the corner (in 2 days, literally), I think it's time for me to write and publish this post!

    So every year, you visit all your family and friends around CNY (from the 1st of the lunar month all the way to the 15th ). As a kid, red pockets are the only thing that counts - only time of the year where people with give you cash! However, as you get older (but not old enough to give out red pockets; because you're not married yet), you start to get stumped for gifts for your friends and family. But don't worry, I'm here to help! Introducing Sau Tau's XO Sauce Scallop Noodle Gift Box!
    DSC_0210
    The packaging is gracefully packaged. Despite not being the lucky red in colour, the brown and gold (school colours...wtf) gives off a elegant air to the gift box.
    DSC_0211
    And inside the box...12 little packets of Scallop (flavoured) noodles neatly tucked in 7 compartments. This 12 in 7 idea got me a bit confused at first. The box clearly said 12 packets, but I only saw 7. Well turns out that 5 of the 7 compartments are double packed - 2 packets in each. In terms of this packaging, I thought it would be better if there were only 6 compartments (take away the top left one) and put two packets of noodles in each. That would also allow the XO Sauce to be packed even more elegantly...but then again, I'm just being picky.
    DSC_0212
    This is the individual pack - said to serve one person. However, I found it a tad too small. In terms of size it fits comfortably in my palm. Some of you guys might know, but I really small hands so my palm is around a square - each side being the width of a Samsung Galaxy S2 (also shows why I can't use smartphones with one hand)
    DSC_0213
    And this is the XO Sauce which is doused in olive oil. To me, the flavour of the XO is a bit plain, making the olive oil smell a bit too strong for me (I'm not a fan of olive oil). Also, for someone who like a lot of flavour in their noodles, especially if they are to be dry-mixed as suggested, the measly 80grams is no where near sufficient for the 12 packets of noodles. More improvement needed here IMO.

    Despite all that...many people do like this product. Or maybe they don't and only buy to give to other people, like I do. You can find this gift set at most Asian grocery shops (e.g. Tongli) and even Coles I think...saw it once.

    What do you buy as gifts for your family and friends?

    I hoped you like this post, and I wish you happy Chinese/Lunar New Year!

    Best wishes,
    Yii (Serena)
  • You might also like

    No comments:

    Post a Comment