• Visiting The Ancestors of Yii... | Yii Travels

    Hi guise! I am back with more info about my travels. This post will be made entirely about all the very tiring and not so rewarding tasks associated with paying respects to the ancestors...

    DAY FIVE (CONT.)
    From what I knew about chinky tradition...you only visit your ancestors once a year...but I guess my family's different....AT LEAST twice a year! (yay for us...)


    Apparently the traditional "ancestors' food" can't be bought...for no particular reason ( I guess it's un-profitable because people would only buy once a year...) Therefore, we make our own...hence you see my grandma up there, in sparta mode!!! (I would be too...if I had 10 batches to make and it's the night before the big day....)

    DAY SIX (DA BIG DAYYYY)

    Apparently there's a lot of food to make...so we hired someone to do it...I literally just sat there for five minutes watching him chop up stuff....why? Because he was making these:

    I have no idea what they are...but they will become delicious, deep fried goodness of prawn, chicken and something crunchy (water chestnut, I think...)

    And whilst the chef keeps cooking, the rest of us are all set to go!~ It was around a 45 minute drive to this mountain/lake/river/dam thing.....then a 5 minute boat trip across the river thing.

    This was the scenery throughout the first 5 minutes of my car trip...cows. Seriously, when will you ever get to see such a view! I really wanted to stick my hand out...but apparently, it's really dangerous....(like I didn't know that....)

    And we have arrived at the river...the people in front of me are meant to be some really really distant relatives I assume....since we were visiting the ancestors....awks if they were just randoms....But the focus of the picture should be on the baskets!!! They're so pretty...dating back to Maozedong time (my grandma is just as much of a hoarder as I am...runs in the family!)

    LOOK AT THAT SKYYYY!!! I must remind you, I am located in CHINA...the pollution capital of the world...yet such beautiful skies!!!

    And that little boat/raft thing will be my lift to the tombstone...which is located somewhere on a hill/mountain...btw...pretty picture I took, no??!!


    My view from the boat....chugging along to other side of the river...


    I have safely made it to the other side!!! A selca to celebrate!! ^_^


    What everyone else was doing while I selca-ed my camera memory away! I knew less than 10% of all the people there....so what else could I do!! And..there are already so many people there...what happens if you push me off the cliff...my insurance won't cover it! Better to just relax at the top of the mountain~

    And we went back home to start the feast! I.e. eating everything we went to the mountain with! I don't have a picture of the feast. Why? Because every single person there smoked...and I was dying from lack of air...hence I sped ate everything I could then went outside....to the blue skies and "fresh" air!

    Since this post is already quite long...I shall continue my adventures in Part 3!
    Ciao~
  • You might also like

    No comments:

    Post a Comment