• #132: Royal Family Snowy Skin Mooncake

    Hi guise! This post is a bit overdue as Mid-Autumn Festival/Chuseok was a couple days ago, but this can be in preparation for next year la~ (making excuses for our laziness....^_^)
    I received a couple of boxes of snowy skin mooncakes this year round. I was never a fan of snowy moon cake because my first experience with MeiXin's Snowy Mooncake wasn't all too good...
    Untitled
    Taro flavours are always my ultimate favourite with Asian food! They also agree calling it a "Classic since 1985. The white block you see inside each mooncake is actually cream - but it's actually a lot smaller in real life; most of time, it's non-existent...so don't worry if you don't like cream!
    Untitled
    It comes in a pack of two in each box, so for approx $3, it's pretty worth it I think...Light purple in colour, the "skin" isn't fondant-like but more of a mochi in my opinion. I sadly don't have a picture of the inside as I ate it so hurriedly before a picture could happen....
    Also, in regards to the cream filling, I've eaten 3 boxes and 80% of them had no cream.
    Untitled
    This is the other box. It's just the little boxes x3..and it looks better as a gift to others.
    Untitled
    The three flavours are Classic Chocolate, Fresh Mango and Matcha Red Bean as you can easily see from the box.
    Untitled
    It also comes in a pretty tin/metal box! The words and the picture are actually promotion for the Taiwan Mochi Museum which is run by Royal Family. It looks so cute! And I've looked on it's website and you can do quite a bit at the museum so I really want to go as part of my 'eat around the world' post-HSC trip! However, it's located in Mid-Southern Taiwan, which is away from everything else in Taiwan....sigh....enough of going on a tangent.

    Untitled  UntitledUntitled  Untitled
    Pictures of the inside packaging. Looks like the taro one, but more fancy with the sticker on top. Sorry for the dodgy photos....
    Untitled
    Top view of the mooncakes...there's no pattern of the company name on this one, unlike the taro one. Texture wise, it's exactly like the taro one.
    Untitled
    The cream in this one is really obvious...too overwhelming for my tastebuds, though. The mango mooncake was a rather big disappointment. The filling was too sour to be complementary with the cream. The skin is also more mochi than fondant. I don't know if I ate it wrong or what, but the mango filling was icy. The hard ice ruined the otherwise "creamy" texture of the mooncake.
    Untitled
    This is the chocolate one - same texture, different pattern to both the mango and the taro one. 
    Untitled
    In this one too, the white inside is also cream. This one was pretty good, the filling of dark chocolate worked well with the milky cream. The match between then two kind of reminded me of a nice ice-cream. However, my mum found it to be a bit too bitter for liking.
    Untitled
    Last but not least, the matcha one. Looks like the chocolate one, but green. 
    Untitled
    The insides. Here's what I mean by no cream. Unlike the picture on the box, there is no cream inside like the chocolate and the mango one.
    Untitled
    Closeup of the inside. This may put everyone off their appetite, but my dad said the insides looked like meat, as he walked past my flickr photostream. I guess it kind of does...but the taste really makes up for it! This one is the best out of them all in my opinion. But then again, I'm biased to green tea and red bean, if you haven't sensed it yet. 
    Although there was no cream in the inside, I felt that it matched very well, kind of tasted like the Uji Matcha Green Tea at Chatime. The whole red beans also add to the texture in it. ^_^

    Well that's all I have for this year's Chuseok!
    Time to go off and actually try to do something academic~
  • You might also like

    No comments:

    Post a Comment